X

Wednesday 03
June

Boxing

Hearn to confirm AJ opponent next week

18th April 2019, 14:01 by James Mason

Eddie Hearn has confirmed Anthony Joshua's opponent for a fight in the US this summer will be named next week.

Joshua had been due to fight Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 1 but that bout is now off after 'Big Baby' was refused a boxing licence following an adverse finding from a drug test.

Unified world heavyweight champion Joshua, who holds the IBF, WBA and WBO belts, is still pressing ahead for his planned US debut on that same date and a number of potential opponents are being considered.

Speaking about AJ's situation, Hearn revealed his team are contemplating who will take on the Briton, confirming an American fighter would be preferred ahead of a European boxer.

"Obviously it's a fight in America, so from our point of view, we would like an American challenger really," he told Sky Sports News. "I don't think it will be Dillian Whyte. You go through the list: Luis Ortiz; Adam Kownacki; Michael Hunter; Manuel Charr; Agit Kabayel, the European champion who beat Derek Chisora.

"There are probably seven or eight guys I think would fit the bill. Being an American debut, in an ideal world, we would like it to be an American, or someone that fights in America.

"We're going through that and we're going to be working hard in the next couple of days. There will be an announcement from us in the early part of next week, locking in Anthony Joshua's next opponent."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

James Mason grew up in Northumberland so is entrenched in both the football and golf scenes. A low handicap golfer, he also follows Newcastle United and predicts big things under Rafa Benitez.

More Boxing

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Fanning fancies Royal tilt

2nd June 2020, 18:08

Joe Fanning expects Army Of India to be heading to Royal Ascot after his victory at Kempton on Tuesday.

Horse Racing

Early return too expensive for Ffos Las

2nd June 2020, 17:55

Ffos Las executive director Phil Bell has revealed it was too expensive to stage races at the course this summer.

Horse Racing

More Guineas success for Fabre

1st June 2020, 16:10

Andre Fabre registered a ninth career race win in the French 2000 Guineas as Victor Ludorum claimed the spoils in Monday's Classic.

Horse Racing

Masks won't be a problem - Sullivan

1st June 2020, 14:45

James Sullivan says wearing masks while riding will be strange to start with but, in the end, it shouldn't pose a problem for jockeys.

Horse Racing

Dettori's mind made up by lockdown

31st May 2020, 13:53

Frankie Dettori has revealed that racing's recent shutdown has strengthened his decision over his future in the sport.

Horse Racing

No qualms for Murphy ahead of racing's return

31st May 2020, 13:46

Horse racing will be leading the way as far as elite sport returning in the UK is concerned and Oisin Murphy has no qualms about getting back to work.

Horse Racing

Dettori reveals Stradivarius plans

30th May 2020, 13:16

Frankie Dettori says there is a chance Stradivarius could run in the Coronation Cup at Newmarket on June 5.

Horse Racing

Murphy delighted with Newmarket partner

30th May 2020, 13:10

Jockey Oisin Murphy says he is "delighted" to have been given the ride on Millisle in the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket on June 7.