Whyte does not regret Joshua talks breaking down
Dillian Whyte says he does not regret talks over a rematch with Anthony Joshua breaking down but did want to be the man to beat him.
The British heavyweight had been in negotiations with compatriot Joshua to take him on in a rematch at Wembley Stadium earlier this year, but those discussions soon broke down.
Joshua instead went on to fight Andy Ruiz Jr in New York and suffered a shock first professional defeat to the Mexican, who also took his WBA (Super), IBF, WBO, and IBO heavyweight titles.
Whyte, who knows what it takes to beat Joshua after seeing off his fellow Brit when they were amateurs, suffered his only professional defeat against the 29-year-old back in 2015.
The 31-year-old admits he was disappointed to see Joshua lose against Ruiz Jr as he wanted to be the man to end his unbeaten run, although he insists that does not mean he has any regrets.
"Why would I be regretful to take the fight just because he lost?" Whyte told Sky Sports. "I don't regret it, I was sad to see him lose, because him losing changed the game.
"I wanted to fight him and beat him for the first time as a pro, as he beat me for the first time, and I beat him for the first time."
Whyte will return to the ring for the first time since beating Dereck Chisora last December when he takes on Colombian Oscar Rivas at the O2 Arena in London on July 20.
Tom McGarry completed his sports journalist degree in 2011,and has since has become an integral part of the editorial and audio team. He is passionate about all things sport, particularly football, and is a lifelong supporter of his hometown club Carlisle United.