Coronavirus puts Chinese GP on hold
The Chinese Grand Prix has been postponed as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, the FIA has confirmed.
Excitement is beginning to build ahead of the 2020 season with launch week in full swing, however, the coronavirus outbreak, which was first discovered in Wuhan, China, has forced Formula 1's governing body to alter the proposed schedule.
The Chinese Grand Prix was scheduled to be fourth on the calendar, running from April 17 to April 19, but talks have been going on in the background over the past few weeks as to whether the race should take place.
The FIA has now confirmed it has accepted a request from the Chinese government to postpone the Shanghai-based race.
"The Chinese Grand Prix has long been an important part of the F1 calendar with many passionate fans," the FIA said in a statement.
"The FIA F1 community looks forward to racing in China as soon as possible and wishes everyone in the country the best during this difficult time."
More than 44,000 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in China so far with 1,115 of those proving to be fatal.
F1 managing director Ross Brawn previously stated they would do everything possible to reschedule the race later in the season.
Brawn said: "We will leave open the opportunity to see if the race can run later in the year.
"China is an enthusiastic, growing market so we'd like to have a race in China."
Bobbie Jackson is a reporter with an in-depth knowledge of football at all levels. A Blackpool supporter, Bobbie is also a keen rugby union, boxing, MMA and UFC follower.