X

Friday 23
August

Formula 1

Gasly hails 'big step forward' at British GP

16th July 2019, 12:42 by Craig Smithson

Pierre Gasly was disappointed not to take third place at the British Grand Prix for Red Bull but said it was his "best weekend" so far.

The 23-year-old Frenchman is in his debut season with the Milton Keynes-based Formula 1 outfit having stepped up to replace Daniel Ricciardo.

However, Gasly has been forced to play second fiddle to team-mate Max Verstappen to date with the Dutch driver sitting three places and 81 points ahead of him in the drivers' standings after 10 races.

However, Gasly produced a fine race at Silverstone to finish one place ahead of Verstappen in fourth, although he just missed out on his first podium place of the year to Ferrari's Charles Leclerc.

He told Planet F1: "By far the best weekend of the year so we can be pleased. There were quite a lot of things going on after Austria, a lot of meetings with the team checking the whole weekend and how to improve things.

"We made a lot of changes and I am pleased that from the first session we could see the big step forward.

"It was a strong Friday, strong Saturday and strong Sunday.

"I just enjoyed the whole weekend a lot more so I think we can be pleased with the step we made."

Gasly added: "I am pleased with fourth place but of course as a competitive guy, I am a bit disappointed to miss out on the podium by a couple of seconds.

"I think we need to look at the whole picture and the whole weekend which was a big step forward."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Craig Smithson is a journalist with over two decades of experience at the keyboard. A life-long Middlesbrough fan, Craig has an in-depth knowledge of all football and is also a keen fan of boxing amongst other sports.

More Williams

Formula 1

Binotto satisfied with Leclerc season

22nd August 2019, 14:28

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto says Charles Leclerc has had a positive first half of 2019 with the team.

Formula 1

Renault poised to pounce for Ocon

22nd August 2019, 10:31

Renault are being linked with a swoop to take Mercedes' current reserve driver Esteban Ocon ahead of the 2020 Formula season.

Formula 1

Kvyat and Albon pleased with first half of season

21st August 2019, 15:53

Toro Rosso drivers Daniil Kvyat and Alexander Albon say that are very pleased with their efforts during the first half of 2019.

Formula 1

Verstappen has more maturity – Horner

21st August 2019, 15:30

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner says Max Verstappen has proven himself this season and is driving with much more awareness.

Formula 1

Ricciardo urges Renault improvement

20th August 2019, 15:32

Renault driver Daniel Ricciardo says improvements are needed if they are to maintain their podium targets for 2020.

Formula 1

Leclerc happy to come through tough spell

20th August 2019, 13:19

Driver Charles Leclerc says he no longer feels intimidated at Ferrari and he claims he is growing in confidence as the season goes on.

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing Previews

Repeat Win On Cards For Handicap Blip

23rd August 2019, 09:09

Gelding Has Conditions To Win Again

Liverpool

New boy Adrian gives honest appraisal of Liverpool back four

23rd August 2019, 08:17

Just days after joining Liverpool as a free agent, the Spaniard made his debut in the Premier League opener against Norwich after injury

Liverpool

No evidence of winger downing tools, as Liverpool stand firm

23rd August 2019, 08:13

Reports in Scotland suggested the 22-year-old, whose solitary first-team appearance for the Reds came in an FA Cup tie in January 2016

Manchester United

Belgian midfield star reveals why he turned down Man Utd move

23rd August 2019, 07:43

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Axel Witsel has revealed that he had the chance to join Manchester United

Manchester United

Ronaldo baffled by situation of Man Utd target amid reports of €70m offer

23rd August 2019, 07:13

Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he doesn't know why international teammate Bruno Fernandes has not left Sporting Lisbon

Monaco

Monaco midfielder bid rejected

23rd August 2019, 05:30

Monaco are reported to have failed with a bid to sign Franck Kessie from AC Milan as their bid was not big enough.

Inter Milan

Inter fail with Barca loan bid

23rd August 2019, 05:29

Inter Milan have failed with an attempt to try and sign Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal on loan, reports have claimed.

Aston Villa

Grealish for England says Villa boss

23rd August 2019, 04:55

Dean Smith believes it is only a matter of time before Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish forces his way into the England squad.