X

Tuesday 02
June

Formula 1

Ocon ready for F1 return

18th September 2019, 18:42 by Tom McGarry

Esteban Ocon says he is "hungry" for a return to the Formula One grid after spending 2019 on the sidelines.

The Frenchman failed to secure a seat for the 2019 season after losing out to Lance Stroll at Racing Point and he instead took up a position as Mercedes' reserve driver.

However, the 23-year-old was always keen to make a return to the main grid and last month signed a two-year deal with Renault that will come into effect ahead of the 2020 season.

Ocon admits his year out of the limelight has been tough, but it has also made him even more determined to succeed in the sport.

"This year has been tough mentally and on the emotion side as well," he told Motorsport.com. "Seeing those guys go so well and me being on the sideline. It's not something that's particularly great.

"But I think it can only make you stronger and more keen to come back, and I'm more hungry for when I come back."

The former Manor driver, whose best performances in F1 came in 2017 when he finished fifth at both the Spanish and Mexican GPs, also feels he has learned a lot during his time behind the scenes with Mercedes.

He added: "On the other side of not being driving I could also learn the other part of the world of F1, which is more experience, more knowledge for me and more things learned for the future."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Tom McGarry completed his sports journalist degree in 2011,and has since has become an integral part of the editorial and audio team. He is passionate about all things sport, particularly football, and is a lifelong supporter of his hometown club Carlisle United.

More Williams

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Fanning fancies Royal tilt

2nd June 2020, 18:08

Joe Fanning expects Army Of India to be heading to Royal Ascot after his victory at Kempton on Tuesday.

Horse Racing

Early return too expensive for Ffos Las

2nd June 2020, 17:55

Ffos Las executive director Phil Bell has revealed it was too expensive to stage races at the course this summer.

Horse Racing

More Guineas success for Fabre

1st June 2020, 16:10

Andre Fabre registered a ninth career race win in the French 2000 Guineas as Victor Ludorum claimed the spoils in Monday's Classic.

Horse Racing

Masks won't be a problem - Sullivan

1st June 2020, 14:45

James Sullivan says wearing masks while riding will be strange to start with but, in the end, it shouldn't pose a problem for jockeys.

Horse Racing

Dettori's mind made up by lockdown

31st May 2020, 13:53

Frankie Dettori has revealed that racing's recent shutdown has strengthened his decision over his future in the sport.

Horse Racing

No qualms for Murphy ahead of racing's return

31st May 2020, 13:46

Horse racing will be leading the way as far as elite sport returning in the UK is concerned and Oisin Murphy has no qualms about getting back to work.

Horse Racing

Dettori reveals Stradivarius plans

30th May 2020, 13:16

Frankie Dettori says there is a chance Stradivarius could run in the Coronation Cup at Newmarket on June 5.

Horse Racing

Murphy delighted with Newmarket partner

30th May 2020, 13:10

Jockey Oisin Murphy says he is "delighted" to have been given the ride on Millisle in the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket on June 7.