X

Thursday 18
October

Formula 1

Sainz expecting McLaren improvements

11th October 2018, 13:45 by Craig Smithson

Carlos Sainz is confident things will improve for his new Formula 1 team McLaren next year because they've "hit the bottom" this term.

The 24-year-old is poised to join the Woking-based outfit from Renault at the end of this season as a replacement for two-time world champion and fellow Spaniard, Fernando Alonso, who is quitting the sport.

Sainz is aware that McLaren have endured some barren years in the sport but believes things will start to improve from 2019 onwards.

"I think they are doing their homework now," he told Cadena Ser radio.

"They hit the bottom this year so they can only get better. They're starting from scratch and that gives me confidence. They've seen the problems and they want to stop them."

Sainz added: "I think McLaren this year, the car and the team, were not fighting for more this year, so I hope they did bet on next year and that this was the learning year.

"Next season there is a change of regulations and it's an opportunity to start from scratch and reach the required level."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Craig Smithson is a journalist with over two decades of experience at the keyboard. A life-long Middlesbrough fan, Craig has an in-depth knowledge of all football and is also a keen fan of boxing amongst other sports.

More Williams

Formula 1

Authorities take action after 2017 Austin controversy

17th October 2018, 15:05

Extra kerbs have been installed for the 2018 US Grand Prix following last year’s controversy surrounding Max Verstappen.

Formula 1

Leclerc plays down Ferrari expectations

17th October 2018, 14:47

Charles Leclerc says he expects to be dropped by the team if he fails to make the grade at Ferrari next season.

Formula 1

Sainz backing Renault for US points

16th October 2018, 15:45

Carlos Sainz claims the venue for the United States Grand Prix suits the Renault and he is targeting points from this Sunday's race.

Formula 1

Ferrari won't give up on Vettel

16th October 2018, 15:44

Team boss Maurizio Arrivabene insists Ferrari have not given up on Sebastian Vettel winning the title.

Formula 1

Wolff cautious but hails Hamilton’s heroics

15th October 2018, 18:05

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff feels the title race in not yet over despite the superb performance of Lewis Hamilton this season.

Formula 1

Massa - Formula E is the future

15th October 2018, 16:07

Felipe Massa admits he must learn to conserve battery power and not tyre rubber when he starts his new Formula E career with Venturi.

Recent Sport Headlines

Bournemouth

Defoe tips Cherries ace for the top

18th October 2018, 05:56

Jermain Defoe has hailed the qualities of Bournemouth team-mate Lys Mousset and says there are no limits to how high he could climb.

Burnley

Clarets ready for City test

18th October 2018, 05:41

Burnley are refreshed after their break in Dubai and are ready to give Manchester City a run for their money, Aaron Lennon says.

Arsenal

Italian starlet on Gunners radar

18th October 2018, 05:40

Arsenal boss Unai Emery is reported to be lining up a swoop for Cagliari midfielder Nicolo Barella ahead of the transfer window.

Everton

Silva wants McCarthy back

18th October 2018, 05:08

Everton boss Marco Silva has assured James McCarthy he will feature in his plans going forward once he is fully fit.

Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs scout wing ace

18th October 2018, 04:51

West Brom outcast Oliver Burke has emerged as a surprise Tottenham target ahead of the January transfer window opening.

Manchester City

City target Ajax star

18th October 2018, 04:30

Ajax star Frenkie de Jong is wanted by Manchester City, who would have to part with Ilkay Gundogan to have a chance of landing him.

Chelsea

Buck makes Hazard pledge

18th October 2018, 04:11

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck has praised Eden Hazard and says the club will do all they can to keep him on board.

Borussia Dortmund

Witsel the deal of the summer says Martinez

18th October 2018, 03:39

Belgium boss Roberto Martinez claims Borussia Dortmund pulled off the signing of the summer when they snapped up Axel Witsel.