X

Tuesday 18
June

Formula 1

Sainz tipping McLaren fightback

5th January 2019, 13:55 by Neil Foster

Carlos Sainz Jr is confident McLaren will be able to compete for Formula 1 glory in the coming years.

The 24-year-old has made the switch from Renault to McLaren for the 2019 season and penned a two-year deal with the Woking-based marque.

The Spaniard finished 10th in the drivers' standings last year with 53 points while he was ninth the season before when driving for a combination of Toro Rosso and Renault.

McLaren have slipped way down the pecking order in recent years, finishing sixth in the Constructors’ race last year while they have not tasted glory since Mika Hakkinen claimed the spoils in 1998.

Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton combined to push McLaren to third in 2012 but they have been down with the also-rans since them.

However, Sainz is adamant that the good times will return and hopes to see progression throughout the year.

"I think I want to see better results than [2018]," he told Motorsport Week. "They also want to see it. Also evolution through the year. It’s a bit of everything.

"McLaren is perfectly capable of that. That’s why I’m going there. I have a lot of trust in them; I have a lot of trust in the second most successful ever F1 team.

"They’ve won, hopefully they will remember how to do it, and little by little in a mid-term project they [will] start going back to the top."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Neil Foster is an experienced journalist who specialises in cricket and rugby union. Neil also has a solid knowledge of tennis, golf and football.

More Williams

Formula 1

Renault improvement boosts Ricciardo

17th June 2019, 13:27

An improved Renault car will show its "true pace" soon, according to an increasingly-confident Daniel Ricciardo.

Formula 1

Haas not focused on 2020

17th June 2019, 12:37

Haas team boss Guenther Steiner says there have been no discussions about the driver line-up for next season.

Formula 1

Albon enjoying life in F1

16th June 2019, 16:38

Toro Rosso driver Alexander Albon says he is adjusting to life on the Formula One grid and feels a positive start helped.

Formula 1

Hamilton hails his own consistency

16th June 2019, 14:39

Lewis Hamilton says he has hit the “sweet spot” in regards to consistency over the past 12 months.

Formula 1

Raikkonen happy to battle it out in midfield

15th June 2019, 16:49

Kimi Raikkonen says it is far more exciting battling for points in midfield after rediscovering his love for Formula 1.

Formula 1

Sainz considers F1 departure

15th June 2019, 16:15

Carlos Sainz has hinted he will contemplate leaving Formula 1 if McLaren continue to only fight for low points.

Recent Sport Headlines

Tottenham Hotspur

Lyon set price for Spurs target

18th June 2019, 05:22

Tottenham will have to pay £63million to have any chance of signing Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele.

Manchester United

Toon midfielder subject of Reds bid

18th June 2019, 05:22

Manchester United are ready to launch an £18million bid for Newcastle midfielder Sean Longstaff as they target their second signing.

Liverpool

Ivory Coast ace a top Reds target

18th June 2019, 04:56

Liverpool are reported to have launched a £72million bid to sign Lille winger Nicolas Pepe.

Arsenal

Arsenal target Saints star

18th June 2019, 04:42

Southampton defender Matt Targett is on Arsenal's radar as they look to add more homegrown talent to their ranks.

Manchester City

City ace targets more medals

18th June 2019, 04:17

Manchester City star Phil Foden is targeting more medals as England's under-21s prepare to get their Euro 2019 campaign underway.

Chelsea

Chelsea yet to move for Lampard say Rams

18th June 2019, 03:54

Derby insist they want to keep hold of Frank Lampard and say that Chelsea have yet to make an approach for his services.

Norwich City

Norwich star signs up

18th June 2019, 03:41

Kenny McLean has signed a new three-year contract with Norwich following promotion back to the Premier League.

Cycling

Thomas ready for the Tour

18th June 2019, 03:13

Geraint Thomas says the loss of Chris Froome will not affect his Tour de France chances and he is ready to lead Team Ineos.