Mepham ready to go
Chris Mepham says he is ready to step into the firing line for Bournemouth on Wednesday against Chelsea if he gets picked.
The 21-year-old was signed last week from Brentford and is hoping he can make his debut against Maurizio Sarri's star-studded side when they visit the Vitality Stadium on Wednesday night.
The defender was released by Chelsea when he was just 12 years old so it would close the circle a little if he were to make his Premier League debut against the Blues.
When asked by the Daily Echo if he believed he could thrive against Chelsea’s big names, Mepham said: "I definitely would.
“I look forward to the opportunity but you might have to ask me that question again after playing them. I want to come up against these players every week and that is why I joined.
“I have been thrown in at the deep end a few times in my career.
“I did not have the best of full debuts for Brentford (against Norwich in 2017) but then came on as a substitute the following Tuesday against Derby because one of the lads got injured.
“And with Wales I made my first start in front of 80,000 fans against Mexico.
“I would like to think I have done well when I have been thrown in but we will wait and see.”
Nick Harris is a long-standing journalist who specialises in football and rugby league. An avid golfer, Nick also follows the major boxing fights closely.