X

Tuesday 17
September

Everton

Zenit striker Dzyuba confirms Everton interest

11th September 2019, 15:03 by Aidan Perkins

Artem Dzyuba has confirmed Everton have previously been interested in him amid claims the Toffees are preparing a January swoop for the Zenit St Petersburg ace.

Everton had a busy summer in the transfer window, bringing in Moise Kean, Fabian Delph, Alex Iwobi, Andre Gomes and Jean-Philippe Gbamin to bolster the ranks at Goodison Park.

However, Silva still wants additional recruits for his first-team squad and director of football Marcel Brands is working hard behind the scenes to find more new talent.

Some reports recently have indicated Blues scouts have watched Dzyuba in action in the past month and there were claims the club had representatives at Russia’s win over Scotland at Hampden Park on Friday, where he scored in his country’s 2-1 win.

Now the 31-year-old has admitted the Premier League club wanted him last year but a move never materialised and he insists he’s happy at Zenit, despite ongoing speculation linking him with a switch to the Merseysiders.

Dzyuba told Sport24: “I signed a contract with Jorge Mendes and his company. Back in the winter transfer window, there was a chance for me to leave Zenit. I understand Everton were interested in my services. But I didn’t want to leave.

“Back then, we had a chance to win the Russian Superleague title, and we did so. So, I can say that I did the right thing. In the summer, I also hoped something would happen, but it didn’t. There were just talks, so I am now at Zenit and I am very pleased with that.”

The Russia captain is out of contract at Zenit at the end of the current season and has made a good start to the 2019-20 campaign, scoring four goals and grabbing three assists so far, while he’s found the back of the net for the Premier Liga side on 56 occasions in total.

Kean was used as a central striker in Everton’s last game, the 3-2 victory over Wolves before the international break, while Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Cenk Tosun are other options up front for Silva, who has also deployed Richarlison as a lone frontman in the past.

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Aidan Perkins is a senior journalist that specialises in football stories. Aidan, a Liverpool fan, also has a broad knowledge of several other sports.

More Everton

Everton

Unwanted Tosun under offer from Qatari side

17th September 2019, 11:13

Everton are reportedly considering a substantial offer from Qatari club Al Gharafa for Cenk Tosun after he slipped down the pecking order at Goodison Park.

Everton

We must cut out mistakes – Schneiderlin

16th September 2019, 16:04

Midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin feels Everton are progressing but need to eliminate silly mistakes if they are to move up to the next level.

Everton

How much of a concern is Everton’s away form?

16th September 2019, 05:30

Everton slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Bournemouth on Sunday and there are fears their away form will again scupper their top six chances.

Everton

Silva has clear plan for Davies

13th September 2019, 18:47

Everton boss Marco Silva says he doesn’t see Tom Davies as a holding midfielder.

Everton

Lossl sends warning to Everton number one

12th September 2019, 18:41

Jonas Lossl has sent a warning to Everton number one Jordan Pickford by suggesting he isn't at the club to just provide cover.

Everton

Silva issues Iwobi challenge

12th September 2019, 13:39

Everton boss Marco Silva wants summer buy Alex Iwobi to continue his goalscoring streak.

Recent Sport Headlines

Manchester United

Jones set for season bow

17th September 2019, 13:47

Phil Jones is ready to come in from the cold and start Thursday's Europa League clash against Kazakhstan side Astana at Old Trafford.

Middlesbrough

Howson optimistic on quick return

17th September 2019, 13:47

Middlesbrough ace Jonny Howson hopes to be back in action within a "couple of weeks" following hernia surgery.

Rugby Union

Kearney adds to Ireland injury worries

17th September 2019, 13:25

Ireland have injury concerns over full-back Rob Kearney and several other players heading into Sunday's World Cup opener with Scotland.

Bayern Munich

Sanches reveals he wanted Bayern stay

17th September 2019, 12:47

Renato Sanches has revealed he never wanted to leave Bayern Munich but had to for the good of his career.

Formula 1

Ricciardo adamant Renault were the right choice

17th September 2019, 12:39

Daniel Ricciardo believes it was still the right call to drop Red Bull and join Renault, insisting he is in it for the long-haul.

Borussia Dortmund

Dortmund among clubs chasing Reds star

17th September 2019, 12:17

Borussia Dortmund are among the clubs reported to be weighing up a move for Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic at the end of the season.

Bournemouth

Howe delighted to have Cook back

17th September 2019, 11:43

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe says he is delighted to have midfielder Lewis Cook back fit again after he impressed on his return against Everton.

Everton

Unwanted Tosun under offer from Qatari side

17th September 2019, 11:13

Everton are reportedly considering a substantial offer from Qatari club Al Gharafa for Cenk Tosun after he slipped down the pecking order at Goodison Park.