X

Sunday 31
May

Manchester City

City to make late call on returning duo

12th April 2019, 18:24 by Tom McGarry

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City will monitor the fitness of Bernardo Silva and Oleksandr Zinchenko ahead of Crystal Palace clash.

Portugal international Silva missed the midweek Champions League defeat to Tottenham with a thigh injury, while Ukrainian ace Zinchenko has sat out the last two games due to a hamstring problem.

Guardiola has confirmed City will give the duo as long as possible to prove their fitness and he does not know if they will be ready for Sunday's trip to Selhurst Park.

"They are better," Guardiola declared. "We will see today (Friday) and tomorrow. They are feeling better but I don't know if they will be fit for Sunday."

Benjamin Mendy, who was rested against Spurs as he continues to be eased back into action following a knee injury, could return to the starting XI, as could Kevin De Bruyne and Leroy Sane, who were both late substitutes at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

City will head into the match sitting two points behind Liverpool in the Premier League title race and Guardiola knows his side will be in for a tough afternoon against a Palace team that beat them 3-2 at the Etihad Stadium earlier in the season.

"Selhurst Park is always a difficult place to go," he added. "Not just for the stadium but for the quality of the players they have in all departments.

"They have done so well – 11 points clear of relegation. They have had incredible results."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Tom McGarry completed his sports journalist degree in 2011,and has since has become an integral part of the editorial and audio team. He is passionate about all things sport, particularly football, and is a lifelong supporter of his hometown club Carlisle United.

More Manchester City

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Dettori reveals Stradivarius plans

30th May 2020, 13:16

Frankie Dettori says there is a chance Stradivarius could run in the Coronation Cup at Newmarket on June 5.

Horse Racing

Murphy delighted with Newmarket partner

30th May 2020, 13:10

Jockey Oisin Murphy says he is "delighted" to have been given the ride on Millisle in the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket on June 7.

Horse Racing

BHA upbeat racing's 'long break' is nearly over

29th May 2020, 17:47

The British Horseracing Authority say they are increasingly confident racing will be cleared to resume from June 1, starting with Monday's card at Newcastle.

Horse Racing

O'Brien plotting three-pronged assault on Newmarket highlights

29th May 2020, 10:47

Aidan O'Brien has indicated he could have three runners in both the 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Cup at Newmarket next month.

Horse Racing

O'Brien talks up Arizona challenge

28th May 2020, 18:48

Aidan O'Brien accepts that the rescheduling of racing may impact his horses but insists Arizona is still in good form ahead of the 2000 Guineas.

Horse Racing

Buick ready for racing's return

28th May 2020, 18:45

Jockey William Buick is relishing the chance to get back in the saddle with racing set to resume on Monday.

Horse Racing

Huge interest in first race meetings back

27th May 2020, 17:15

There have been a large number of entries for the meetings at Newcastle and Kempton, when racing resume in the UK next week.

Horse Racing

O'Brien accepting of jockey restrictions

27th May 2020, 10:53

Aidan O'Brien says he's not given up hope on Ryan Moore being able to compete in big races both in the UK and Ireland this summer.