X

Thursday 21
November

Newcastle United

Colback heartbroken after omission

15th August 2019, 15:50

Newcastle midfielder Jack Colback is understood to have been left heartbroken after being left out of Steve Bruce's 25-man squad.

The 29-year-old has endured a turbulent few years after losing his spot at St James’ Park under previous boss Rafael Benitez, despite playing a big role in helping them to earn promotion from the Championship in 2016-17.

Colback fell out of favour with the Spaniard and was courted by the likes of Wolves, Hull and Sunderland after being excluded from the 2017-18 official team photo.

Benitez justified Colback’s absence from the picture by saying the club “had decided the squad before”.

After spending the first half of the season out in the cold, Colback agreed a loan switch to Championship side Nottingham Forest in January 2018.

He claimed he was “treated more like a number than a human being” and accused Benitez of disrespecting him.

Colback made16 appearances during his half-season stint at the City Ground and he impressed enough to earn a season-long loan in 2018-19.

The second tier side were rumoured to be keen on doing a third deal, potentially on a permanent basis this summer, but they failed to act on that interest prior to the deadline earlier this month.

Benitez’s departure from Newcastle this summer offered hope as Colback vowed to force his way back into contention under a new manager.

Bruce was the man drafted in to replace Benitez and he appeared to place his faith in Colback by deploying him in pre-season games.

Indeed, he started both of their Premier League Asia Cup engagements against Wolves and West Ham and was understood to have been given assurances over game-time ahead of 2019-20.

But Bruce, who has now confirmed his 25-man squad, has left Colback feeling disappointed by leaving him out of the final selection.

Bruce admits it was a tough decision and has questioned why managers are restricted to a squad of just 25 players.

“Unfortunately, he’s one of those who hasn’t got a squad number,” Bruce said.

“It’s the horrible part of the job that I have to tell them that they haven’t even got a squad number. I don’t get that, that you have to have a (25-man) squad when it causes all these problems, but there you go.”

Henri Saivet, Rolando Aarons, Jamie Sterry and Achraf Lazaar have also been omitted from Bruce’s plans as Newcastle look to avoid relegation.

Colback’s career prospects look bleak until January following the close of the transfer window for Premier League and Championship clubs.

League One and League Two outfits can still add to their squads but Colback will feel he has too much quality to drop to that level.

European clubs are still eligible to reinforce until at least the end of the month with varying transfer deadlines across the continent.

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

More Newcastle United

Newcastle United

Bruce convinced Almiron will deliver

21st November 2019, 12:55

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce is convinced the floodgates will open for Miguel Almiron once he finally scores his first goal for the club.

Newcastle United

Longstaff relaxed on Newcastle contract talks

20th November 2019, 19:22

Sean Longstaff says he's discussed a new deal with Newcastle United but is in no rush to put pen to paper.

Newcastle United

Newcastle tracking Ivory Coast starlet

20th November 2019, 03:43

Newcastle are keeping tabs on Le Mans winger Stephane Diarra with a view to a future swoop, according to reports in France.

Newcastle United

Newcastle board to green light Xhaka bid – report

18th November 2019, 16:19

Newcastle United are reportedly considering a January bid for Arsenal’s troubled midfielder Granit Xhaka.

Newcastle United

Lee delighted with Longstaff brothers

15th November 2019, 17:22

Rob Lee says it is great to see the Longstaff brothers, Sean and Matty, flying the flag for local lads in Newcastle United's first team this season.

Newcastle United

Clark reveals summer exit thoughts

14th November 2019, 11:58

Ciaran Clark admits he considered leaving Newcastle United in the summer after falling down the pecking order at St James' Park.

Recent Sport Headlines

Aston Villa

Prolific Morelos seems ready for Premier League challenge

21st November 2019, 15:46

Aston Villa have become the latest team linked with a move for Alfredo Morelos - and the Rangers ace could prove to be a smart capture.

Hull City

Lichaj eyes promotion charge for the Tigers

21st November 2019, 15:46

Hull City captain Eric Lichaj says the main aim of the club this term is to be involved in the end-of-season shake up and a potential Premier League return.

Barnsley

How will the new managers fare in the Championship?

21st November 2019, 15:46

With three new managerial appointments in the Championship this month, we have taken a look at how Gerhard Struber, Neil Harris and Michael O’Neill will fare.

Brighton & Hove Albion

Potter ready for tough Foxes tussle

21st November 2019, 15:46

Brighton boss Graham Potter is glad to have his retuning international players fit to face what he feels is a well-coached Leicester City side on Saturday.

Manchester City

Fernandinho happy with new City role

21st November 2019, 15:46

Fernandinho insists he is happy to fill in at the back for Manchester City but admits he still has a lot to learn about the role.

Tennis

Kerber reveals new coach for 2020 campaign

21st November 2019, 15:24

Angelique Kerber says she is ready to get back training after confirming Dieter Kindlmann will be her new coach.

Horse Racing

Judicial to return in April

21st November 2019, 15:11

Connections have revealed Judicial will return at Lingfield on Good Friday following his win at the Surrey venue this month.

Horse Racing Previews

BTO talks to top pro punter

21st November 2019, 15:08

Beforetheoff.com (BTO) editor Phill Anderson has chatted to pro punter Andy Gibson about performances at Cheltenham's November meeting.