Poch deliberating appeal after FA sanctions
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is considering appealing against the two-match touchline ban handed out by the FA.
Pochettino confronted referee Mike Dean on the pitch following the 2-1 defeat at Burnley last month and the Football Association has decided to slap the Spurs manager with a two-game ban, while also fining him £10,000.
Asked about the situation on Thursday, the Argentine tactician said he was "shocked" at the severity of the punishment and will now have to decide whether to appeal against the ban or not.
"It wasn't the idea to appeal," Pochettino said at a press conference. "Because in my mind it wasn't a big deal and it wasn't the best way to complain or talk with the referee, but I never expected this type of situation.
"Now I need to think. I need to see the reasons why and then we'll see what happens. I am a little bit in shock because it is completely unfair.
"It's my seventh season in England and you can see my behaviour from day one. I was a coach, a manager, a person who wanted to help the Premier League (and) the FA, someone who tried to emphasise, understand and behave to try to help the referees and football, and always to try to improve our game.
"It is my first time here that I'm maybe not completely right in my behaviour but I feel this is too much. I feel a little bit sad and disappointed."
James Mason grew up in Northumberland so is entrenched in both the football and golf scenes. A low handicap golfer, he also follows Newcastle United and predicts big things under Rafa Benitez.