X

Thursday 28
May

Rugby League

Williams willing to take Toronto pay cut

28th March 2020, 13:35 by Tom McGarry

Toronto Wolfpack star Sonny Bill Williams says he would be more than willing to reduce his wages during the coronavirus pandemic.

The RFL confirmed earlier this week that the Super League season has been suspended indefinitely due to the outbreak, which means lots of clubs are facing an uncertain future.

Dual-code New Zealand international Williams only arrived at Toronto ahead of the new season after returning to rugby league and he became the highest paid player in the world when he signed his two-year contract with the Wolfpack.

The 34-year-old will reportedly earn around £5.4million over the duration of his contract with the Canadian club, but he has now confirmed he would be happy to take a pay cut to help clubs and individuals that are more in need.

When asked if he would take a pay cut, Williams told Sky Sports News: "100%, I would be that way inclined.

"When it comes to taking pay cuts, to keep the game afloat, it would be crazy not to think that's going to occur, especially with the way things are happening in the sporting world.

"I consider myself in a privileged position and (I am) taking a step back and understanding that sport is just a game and there are things in life that are more important."

Williams has featured five times since joining Toronto, although Brian McDermott's side have lost all of those games and are currently propping up Super League following their promotion last year.

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Tom McGarry completed his sports journalist degree in 2011,and has since has become an integral part of the editorial and audio team. He is passionate about all things sport, particularly football, and is a lifelong supporter of his hometown club Carlisle United.

More Rugby League

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Huge interest in first race meetings back

27th May 2020, 17:15

There have been a large number of entries for the meetings at Newcastle and Kempton, when racing resume in the UK next week.

Horse Racing

O'Brien accepting of jockey restrictions

27th May 2020, 10:53

Aidan O'Brien says he's not given up hope on Ryan Moore being able to compete in big races both in the UK and Ireland this summer.

Horse Racing

Haggas reveals plan for Oaks hope

26th May 2020, 18:19

Born With Pride is set to be given her chance in Kempton's Classic trial next month, ahead of a potential tilt at the Investec Oaks.

Horse Racing

Balding excited ahead of Newmarket trip

26th May 2020, 17:52

Trainer Andrew Balding says he is very optimistic about Kameko's chance of winning the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket next month.

Horse Racing

Born With Pride set for Kempton outing

25th May 2020, 12:49

Trainer William Haggas has revealed he wants to give Born With Pride a shot at Kempton's Classic Trial on June 8.

Horse Racing

Pletcher excited about new recruits

25th May 2020, 12:48

Todd Pletcher says he is feeling very positive about the prospects of four horses that have arrived from Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum.

Horse Racing

Addeybb's Ascot hopes dependent on rain

24th May 2020, 15:48

Trainer William Haggas fears he may have to scrap plans to run Addeybb at Royal Ascot due to the ground being too firm.

Horse Racing

Masks specified for jockeys in new BHA guidelines

24th May 2020, 10:49

The British Horse Racing Authority have unveiled protocols for the return of racing on June 1, including jockeys wearing masks.