X

Sunday 07
June

Rugby Union

Howley departure won't ruin Wales' World Cup

18th September 2019, 16:23 by Chris Rivers

Wales coach Warren Gatland says Rob Howley's shocking departure from the World Cup will not ruin his team's chances of glory in Japan.

Wales caused a huge stir on Tuesday when they announced that backs coach Howley was to be sent home from the camp amid allegations of a betting breach.

Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Martyn Phillips has confirmed an investigation into the 48-year-old's actions is ongoing and that Howley has left Japan to assist with inquiries.

The WRU learned of the alleged breach of World Rugby's betting code of conduct last Wednesday when the Wales squad were travelling out to the Far East but have waited until six days before the reigning Six Nations champions' first World Cup pool stage game against Georgia to make an announcement.

Gatland admits the news stunned the squad but says the players have responded well to losing a key member of the party and does not believe Howley's exit will have a major bearing on how they perform at the World Cup.

"You have to deal with adversity at times, and it's how you respond and react to that," he said. "We were shocked. The Union are dealing with this, and my focus has to be on the next five days in terms of preparing the squad for the first game against Georgia.

"I must say that the players in the last 24 hours have really stepped up and they have been incredibly responsible and resilient, and sometimes that brings teams closer together.

"At the moment, these are allegations. Obviously, Rob was devastated by the allegations. That's all I can say."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Chris Rivers is an experienced reporter who closely follows both Arsenal and Wales Rugby Union team. As well as in-depth football and rugby knowledge, Chris is an avid American Football, Formula One and boxing fan.

More Southern Kings

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Nayef Road and Mildenberger earn Gold Cup chance

6th June 2020, 18:09

Mark Johnston enjoyed a one-two in the Sagaro Stakes at Newcastle with Nayef Road holding off the challenge of Mildenberger.

Horse Racing

Derby the obvious choice for Guineas hero

6th June 2020, 17:58

Kameko sprung a major surprise by landing the first British Classic of the year in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket.

Horse Racing

King relishing Derby chance

5th June 2020, 17:52

Ed Walker is relishing the prospect of having a genuine Derby contender in his ranks and will not be taking any risks with English King.

Horse Racing

Gosden keeping Yoda options open

5th June 2020, 17:40

John Gosden admits there is no firm plan as yet for Miss Yoda after she overcame a difficult start to win the Oaks Trial Fillies Stakes at Lingfield.

Horse Racing

Cox remains Positive for Royal Ascot glory bid

4th June 2020, 11:54

Clive Cox has described stable star Positive as "far stronger" than last year as he gets set for the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Horse Racing

Sharing poised for Royal raid

3rd June 2020, 18:41

Breeders' Cup winner Sharing looks set to be sent across the Atlantic for this month's Royal Ascot meeting for a crack at the Coronation Stakes.

Horse Racing

Pinatubo leads 15-strong Guineas field

3rd June 2020, 13:45

The Charlie Appleby-trained Pinatubo will face 14 rivals when he goes for glory in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on Saturday.

Horse Racing

Fanning fancies Royal tilt

2nd June 2020, 18:08

Joe Fanning expects Army Of India to be heading to Royal Ascot after his victory at Kempton on Tuesday.