X

Thursday 04
June

Torino

Nkoulou reveals Torino commitment

6th September 2019, 14:37 by Craig Smithson

Nicolas Nkoulou claims Torino went back on a promise to sell him in the summer transfer window but he remains committed to the club.

The 29-year-old Cameroon international defender had scored four goals in 77 appearances in two seasons with the Serie A side going into this season.

However, Nkoulou had stressed a desire to leave during the summer with Roma thought to be keen on securing his signature.

But, Torino insisted that he stayed put and have since suggested that his head is not in the right place to feature in boss Walter Mazzarri’s plans.

Nkoulou has subsequently been left out of the first team since the side’s Europa League play-off first leg against Wolverhampton Wanderers on August 22.

When asked about his thoughts about the club’s stance, Nkoulou, who joined the club from Lyon on an initial season-long loan with a view to a permanent deal in 2017, told L’Equipe: “I’m a loyal and honest man.

“In my career, no team-mate, coach or director has ever questioned my professionalism, my education even less so.

“A professional must inform their employer if they’re not in the best condition to accomplish their mission, which I did respectfully with my Coach and my teammates.

“For me, a man is defined by the respect for his word. Unfortunately, I’ve realised promises are difficult to keep.

“I’ve taken due note that my bosses refused to let me go over the summer. True to my principles, I go back to work without these events affecting my motivation, professionalism or ability to defend the Torino colours because their history and fans deserve it.”

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Craig Smithson is a journalist with over two decades of experience at the keyboard. A life-long Middlesbrough fan, Craig has an in-depth knowledge of all football and is also a keen fan of boxing amongst other sports.

More Torino

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Cox remains Positive for Royal Ascot glory bid

4th June 2020, 11:54

Clive Cox has described stable star Positive as "far stronger" than last year as he gets set for the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot.

Horse Racing

Sharing poised for Royal raid

3rd June 2020, 18:41

Breeders' Cup winner Sharing looks set to be sent across the Atlantic for this month's Royal Ascot meeting for a crack at the Coronation Stakes.

Horse Racing

Pinatubo leads 15-strong Guineas field

3rd June 2020, 13:45

The Charlie Appleby-trained Pinatubo will face 14 rivals when he goes for glory in the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket on Saturday.

Horse Racing

Fanning fancies Royal tilt

2nd June 2020, 18:08

Joe Fanning expects Army Of India to be heading to Royal Ascot after his victory at Kempton on Tuesday.

Horse Racing

Early return too expensive for Ffos Las

2nd June 2020, 17:55

Ffos Las executive director Phil Bell has revealed it was too expensive to stage races at the course this summer.

Horse Racing

More Guineas success for Fabre

1st June 2020, 16:10

Andre Fabre registered a ninth career race win in the French 2000 Guineas as Victor Ludorum claimed the spoils in Monday's Classic.

Horse Racing

Masks won't be a problem - Sullivan

1st June 2020, 14:45

James Sullivan says wearing masks while riding will be strange to start with but, in the end, it shouldn't pose a problem for jockeys.

Horse Racing

Dettori's mind made up by lockdown

31st May 2020, 13:53

Frankie Dettori has revealed that racing's recent shutdown has strengthened his decision over his future in the sport.