X

Thursday 28
May

Tennis

Anderson forced to put comeback on hold

21st March 2020, 15:16 by Tom McGarry

Kevin Anderson has confirmed he is progressing well following knee surgery but the coronavirus outbreak has put his comeback on hold.

The former world number five missed the second half of last season after undergoing an operation in September. He was then forced to go under the knife again last month to repair a torn meniscus.

Anderson has since been been making good progress in his recovery and was targeting a return to competitive action at April's Monte Carlo Masters.

However, the coronavirus outbreak has forced both the ATP and WTA Tours to suspend all action until June at the earliest.

"My recovery's gone great. I think it's been really successful so far... I probably would have been ready for Monte Carlo and the clay-court season," Anderson told the ATPTour.com.

"Obviously that's not going to happen anymore, so we just had to re-adjust and now I'll be at home, and I feel like the toughest part of getting over the surgery and recovery has been done."

The 33-year-old, who was last in action at the New York Open in February, feels he will be fit and raring to go when the suspension is lifted on the season.

He added: "I feel quite confident where I am right now and I can maintain as much as I can while not being able to train properly, and hopefully things settle down and it's more safe to go outside, I'll be able to resume and get back with things."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Tom McGarry completed his sports journalist degree in 2011,and has since has become an integral part of the editorial and audio team. He is passionate about all things sport, particularly football, and is a lifelong supporter of his hometown club Carlisle United.

More Tennis

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Huge interest in first race meetings back

27th May 2020, 17:15

There have been a large number of entries for the meetings at Newcastle and Kempton, when racing resume in the UK next week.

Horse Racing

O'Brien accepting of jockey restrictions

27th May 2020, 10:53

Aidan O'Brien says he's not given up hope on Ryan Moore being able to compete in big races both in the UK and Ireland this summer.

Horse Racing

Haggas reveals plan for Oaks hope

26th May 2020, 18:19

Born With Pride is set to be given her chance in Kempton's Classic trial next month, ahead of a potential tilt at the Investec Oaks.

Horse Racing

Balding excited ahead of Newmarket trip

26th May 2020, 17:52

Trainer Andrew Balding says he is very optimistic about Kameko's chance of winning the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket next month.

Horse Racing

Born With Pride set for Kempton outing

25th May 2020, 12:49

Trainer William Haggas has revealed he wants to give Born With Pride a shot at Kempton's Classic Trial on June 8.

Horse Racing

Pletcher excited about new recruits

25th May 2020, 12:48

Todd Pletcher says he is feeling very positive about the prospects of four horses that have arrived from Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum.

Horse Racing

Addeybb's Ascot hopes dependent on rain

24th May 2020, 15:48

Trainer William Haggas fears he may have to scrap plans to run Addeybb at Royal Ascot due to the ground being too firm.

Horse Racing

Masks specified for jockeys in new BHA guidelines

24th May 2020, 10:49

The British Horse Racing Authority have unveiled protocols for the return of racing on June 1, including jockeys wearing masks.