X

Sunday 31
May

Tennis

Clay-court campaign falls victim to coronavirus

19th March 2020, 10:00 by Gareth Freeman

The suspension of the ATP and WTA Tours has been extended until June 7, ruling out the entirety of the European clay-court season.

The ATP was already suspended until April 27 and the WTA until May 2 as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, while the French Open had been pushed back to September.

A statement from the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and Women's Tennis Association (WTA) has now confirmed all professional tennis has been suspended until June 7, meaning the Monte Carlo Open, Madrid Open and Italian Open in Rome have all been cancelled.

The statement read: "The challenges presented by the Covid-19 pandemic to professional tennis demand greater collaboration than ever from everyone in the tennis community in order for the sport to move forward collectively in the best interest of players, tournaments and fans.

"We are assessing all options related to preserving and maximising the tennis calendar based on various return dates for the Tours, which remains an unknown at this time. We are committed to working through these matters with our player and tournament members, and the other governing bodies, in the weeks and months ahead.

"All decisions related to the impact of the coronavirus require appropriate consultation and review with the stakeholders in the game, a view that is shared by ATP, WTA, International Tennis Federation, All England Lawn Tennis Club, Tennis Australia, and United States Tennis Association."

Wimbledon is due to begin on June 29.

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Gareth Freeman is an experienced journalist who can offer in-depth knowledge on a host of sports, especially football, tennis, snooker and basketball.

More Tennis

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Dettori reveals Stradivarius plans

30th May 2020, 13:16

Frankie Dettori says there is a chance Stradivarius could run in the Coronation Cup at Newmarket on June 5.

Horse Racing

Murphy delighted with Newmarket partner

30th May 2020, 13:10

Jockey Oisin Murphy says he is "delighted" to have been given the ride on Millisle in the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket on June 7.

Horse Racing

BHA upbeat racing's 'long break' is nearly over

29th May 2020, 17:47

The British Horseracing Authority say they are increasingly confident racing will be cleared to resume from June 1, starting with Monday's card at Newcastle.

Horse Racing

O'Brien plotting three-pronged assault on Newmarket highlights

29th May 2020, 10:47

Aidan O'Brien has indicated he could have three runners in both the 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Cup at Newmarket next month.

Horse Racing

O'Brien talks up Arizona challenge

28th May 2020, 18:48

Aidan O'Brien accepts that the rescheduling of racing may impact his horses but insists Arizona is still in good form ahead of the 2000 Guineas.

Horse Racing

Buick ready for racing's return

28th May 2020, 18:45

Jockey William Buick is relishing the chance to get back in the saddle with racing set to resume on Monday.

Horse Racing

Huge interest in first race meetings back

27th May 2020, 17:15

There have been a large number of entries for the meetings at Newcastle and Kempton, when racing resume in the UK next week.

Horse Racing

O'Brien accepting of jockey restrictions

27th May 2020, 10:53

Aidan O'Brien says he's not given up hope on Ryan Moore being able to compete in big races both in the UK and Ireland this summer.