X

Saturday 30
May

Tennis

Federer takes positives after US Open exit

4th September 2019, 18:07 by Gareth Freeman

Roger Federer says he still srates his 2019 campaign as successful overall after being knocked out of the US Open.

The Swiss superstar was dumped out in the quarter-finals at Flushing Meadows by Grigor Dimitrov as the Bulgarian claimed a first-ever win over Federer, having lost all seven of their previous meetings.

Federer had been on course for a first-ever meeting in New York with old rival Rafael Nadal in the final but it now remains to be seen as to whether the duo will ever face off at the US Open.

Federer turned 38 earlier this month and it has been suggested the current campaign could be his last, although he hinted he is planning to continue beyond the end of this year and is planning a busy end to 2019 - culminating in an appearance at the ATP Tour Finals in London.

"I don't have the crystal ball. Do you?" he said when asked if he expected to win another Grand Slam title at his age.

"We never know. I hope so, of course. I think still it's been a positive season. Disappointing now, but I'll get back up, I'll be all right."

"Laver Cup, Shanghai, Basel, maybe Paris, London. That's the schedule for now. I don't know if the team have other ideas or not," he added on his plans for the rest of the year. "I'm happy to get a bit of a break now, go back to practice, reassess and attack from there."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Gareth Freeman is an experienced journalist who can offer in-depth knowledge on a host of sports, especially football, tennis, snooker and basketball.

More Tennis

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Dettori reveals Stradivarius plans

30th May 2020, 13:16

Frankie Dettori says there is a chance Stradivarius could run in the Coronation Cup at Newmarket on June 5.

Horse Racing

Murphy delighted with Newmarket partner

30th May 2020, 13:10

Jockey Oisin Murphy says he is "delighted" to have been given the ride on Millisle in the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket on June 7.

Horse Racing

BHA upbeat racing's 'long break' is nearly over

29th May 2020, 17:47

The British Horseracing Authority say they are increasingly confident racing will be cleared to resume from June 1, starting with Monday's card at Newcastle.

Horse Racing

O'Brien plotting three-pronged assault on Newmarket highlights

29th May 2020, 10:47

Aidan O'Brien has indicated he could have three runners in both the 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Cup at Newmarket next month.

Horse Racing

O'Brien talks up Arizona challenge

28th May 2020, 18:48

Aidan O'Brien accepts that the rescheduling of racing may impact his horses but insists Arizona is still in good form ahead of the 2000 Guineas.

Horse Racing

Buick ready for racing's return

28th May 2020, 18:45

Jockey William Buick is relishing the chance to get back in the saddle with racing set to resume on Monday.

Horse Racing

Huge interest in first race meetings back

27th May 2020, 17:15

There have been a large number of entries for the meetings at Newcastle and Kempton, when racing resume in the UK next week.

Horse Racing

O'Brien accepting of jockey restrictions

27th May 2020, 10:53

Aidan O'Brien says he's not given up hope on Ryan Moore being able to compete in big races both in the UK and Ireland this summer.