Isner to end season prematurely
John Isner says he will likely take an extended break after facing Roger Federer in the Laver Cup in September.
The 34-year-old withdrew from the French Open earlier this year due to a foot injury, which he sustained in Miami, but he was back for the grass season and made it through to the second round at Wimbledon.
Isner has a busy schedule over the next couple of months with entries to events in Atlanta, Washington, Montreal, Cincinnati and the US Open.
He intends to feature in all of those competitions before travelling to Geneva, Switzerland to represent Team World in the Laver Cup from September 20 to 22.
But Isner says he will then likely bring an end to his season to fully recover, although he admits he will return to Europe if he earns a spot in the ATP Finals in London.
Isner said: "I am very conscious of that. Until this point, the cost of that injury I haven't really played that much. Now, when I got hurt I had played a lot, it was my fifth tournament in a row.
"I had some time off but I certainly need to pace myself but Laver Cup in particular, if I am healthy I am definitely going to go there.
"It's a good chance I have a very long off-season because the schedule in Europe in the late part of the year doesn't really work for me."
Bobbie Jackson is a reporter with an in-depth knowledge of football at all levels. A Blackpool supporter, Bobbie is also a keen rugby union, boxing, MMA and UFC follower.