X

Saturday 30
May

Tennis

Nadal finding it tough after Monte Carlo shock

21st April 2019, 12:22 by Chris Rivers

Rafael Nadal admits his defeat at the Monte Carlo Masters was just the latest disappointment in what has been a tough year.

The Spaniard had been hoping to win a 12th title in the Principality but saw his campaign surprisingly ended at the semi-final stage when losing 6-4 6-2 to veteran Italian Fabio Fognini.

Fognini is only the fourth man to have won three or more matches against 'King of Clay' Nadal on the red dirt and can look forward to a showdown with Serb Dusan Lajovic in Sunday's final.

The loss has left Nadal with plenty to ponder as he continues to have to manage his troublesome knees, taking a month off ahead of the Monte Carlo Masters to rest up.

The world No.2 is scheduled to play at next week's Barcelona Open as he continues to build towards the French Open and admits he is in need of a confidence boost ahead of Roland Garros getting underway.

"I am coming from low moments in terms of injuries, and in terms of the mental side it has not been easy to accept all the things that have been going on," Nadal said.

"The problem is that sometimes we are used to being very, very solid all the time, and even coming back from injuries, winning and winning and winning, and things are not that easy.

"It is more difficult to hold the same level every single day when you don't have confidence in tournaments in a row or matches in a row. And that's what I needed. Even if I have been very competitive all the tournaments that I have been playing, all these stops create some instability...

"That's why I have been able to win all the things that I won, especially on clay. But it is always more difficult when all these things are going on."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Chris Rivers is an experienced reporter who closely follows both Arsenal and Wales Rugby Union team. As well as in-depth football and rugby knowledge, Chris is an avid American Football, Formula One and boxing fan.

More Tennis

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

BHA upbeat racing's 'long break' is nearly over

29th May 2020, 17:47

The British Horseracing Authority say they are increasingly confident racing will be cleared to resume from June 1, starting with Monday's card at Newcastle.

Horse Racing

O'Brien plotting three-pronged assault on Newmarket highlights

29th May 2020, 10:47

Aidan O'Brien has indicated he could have three runners in both the 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Cup at Newmarket next month.

Horse Racing

O'Brien talks up Arizona challenge

28th May 2020, 18:48

Aidan O'Brien accepts that the rescheduling of racing may impact his horses but insists Arizona is still in good form ahead of the 2000 Guineas.

Horse Racing

Buick ready for racing's return

28th May 2020, 18:45

Jockey William Buick is relishing the chance to get back in the saddle with racing set to resume on Monday.

Horse Racing

Huge interest in first race meetings back

27th May 2020, 17:15

There have been a large number of entries for the meetings at Newcastle and Kempton, when racing resume in the UK next week.

Horse Racing

O'Brien accepting of jockey restrictions

27th May 2020, 10:53

Aidan O'Brien says he's not given up hope on Ryan Moore being able to compete in big races both in the UK and Ireland this summer.

Horse Racing

Haggas reveals plan for Oaks hope

26th May 2020, 18:19

Born With Pride is set to be given her chance in Kempton's Classic trial next month, ahead of a potential tilt at the Investec Oaks.

Horse Racing

Balding excited ahead of Newmarket trip

26th May 2020, 17:52

Trainer Andrew Balding says he is very optimistic about Kameko's chance of winning the 2,000 Guineas at Newmarket next month.