X

Sunday 29
March

Tennis

Norrie knocked out of Delray Beach Open

20th February 2020, 08:28 by Tom McGarry

British number two Cameron Norrie has been knocked out of the Delray Beach Open after losing to teenager Brandon Nakashima.

Norrie would have fancied his chances of progressing against his inexperienced opponent following his victory over third seed Taylor Fritz in the first round, but he was comfortably beaten by his American opponent, going down 7-5 6-2.

Nakashima, who had already seen off former world number 35 Jiri Vesely in his opening match, is playing in his first ATP Tour event after earning a place as a wildcard and his reward for reaching the quarter-finals in Florida will be a clash with Japan's Yoshihito Nishioka.

The 18-year-old, who is ranked at number 294 in the world, admits he is playing with a lot of confidence and he is hoping to go as far as possible at this week's event.

"I always knew that I had the game to compete with these high-level pros. I just had to have the right opportunities," Nakashima told reporters.

"I was just hoping to play a good first-round match here, but after winning these two matches, I have a lot of confidence in my game now... Hopefully I can keep it going."

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Tom McGarry completed his sports journalist degree in 2011,and has since has become an integral part of the editorial and audio team. He is passionate about all things sport, particularly football, and is a lifelong supporter of his hometown club Carlisle United.

More Tennis

Tennis

Wimbledon very keen to still go ahead – Murray

29th March 2020, 15:11

Jamie Murray says the Wimbledon organisers are desperate for the tournament to carry on as planned.

Tennis

Grass-court season still a possibility for WTA

28th March 2020, 11:46

WTA CEO Steve Simon says the organisation remains hopeful that the grass-court season will still take place.

Tennis

Djokovic contributes one milllion euros to coronavirus fight

27th March 2020, 14:43

World number one Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena have donated €1million to help tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

Tennis

Wimbledon decision imminent

26th March 2020, 14:47

The All England Club have called an emergency meeting, when a decision will be made on whether Wimbledon goes ahead as planned.

Tennis

Nadal defeat 'painful' for Medvedev

22nd March 2020, 17:25

Daniil Medvedev says his defeat to Rafael Nadal at the ATP Tour Finals was "painful" but is a loss he can learn from.

Tennis

Rublev backs decision to move French Open

22nd March 2020, 15:13

Andrey Rublev is happy organisers decided to move the French Open to September rather than cancel the Grand Slam event.

Recent Sport Headlines

Golf

Dougherty hopes to see majors in 2020

29th March 2020, 17:37

Former European Tour winner Nick Dougherty says the golf authorities must come together to find a way of playing all four majors.

Horse Racing

May 1 return pencilled in

29th March 2020, 17:27

The British Horseracing Authority has confirmed they hope to return to action on May 1 after putting together a plan of action.

Inter Milan

On-loan Nainggolan may need to take pay cut to secure Cagliari switch

29th March 2020, 17:15

Radja Nainggolan reportedly must face a wage decrease if he is to join Cagliari on a permanent basis from inter Milan.

Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace join Southampton and West Ham in chase for keeper Sa

29th March 2020, 17:15

Crystal Palace have reportedly joined Southampton and West Ham in the race for Olympiacos' Jose Sa, which could cast doubts on Vicente Guaita's Eagles future.

Borussia Dortmund

Rummenigge advises Gotze to move on from Dortmund

29th March 2020, 16:45

Former Borussia Dortmund forward Michael Rummenigge has suggested there will be plenty of takers for out-of-contract midfielder Mario Gotze.

Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs duo Bergwijn and Son head home for personal reasons

29th March 2020, 16:45

Spurs have permitted Heung-Min Son and Steven Bergwijn to return to their home countries amid the Premier League hiatus caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Real Madrid

Real Madrid make Arsenal forward Aubameyang their Plan C

29th March 2020, 16:45

Real Madrid will reportedly target a move for Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang if they cannot sign Erling Haaland or Sadio Mane.

Borussia Dortmund

Watzke reaffirms Dortmund’s stance over England star Sancho

29th March 2020, 15:15

Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans Joachim Watzke says the club will not be bullied into selling Jadon Sancho for a knock down price in the summer transfer window.