Wimbledon very keen to still go ahead – Murray
Jamie Murray says the Wimbledon organisers are desperate for the tournament to carry on as planned.
The coronavirus pandemic has ripped apart the world of sport with several major events being disrupted as countries look to combat the spread of the virus.
The ATP and WTA calendars have been suspended with all tournaments due to be played in March called off.
Earlier this month, the French Open, which was due to start at the end of May, was forced to be rescheduled to September as most of the world currently adheres to lockdown and social distancing regulations.
Murray says the organisers are hopeful Wimbledon, set to start on June 29, will be able to take place as planned but thinks it will be unlikely.
"They're desperate to have their event on, it's still over three months away and a lot can change in that time," said the two-time Wimbledon mixed doubles champion.
"For them, optics don't necessarily look great, I guess, if there's sporting events all over the world getting cancelled and they're trying to crack on with things.
"There's a lot of other stakeholders, a lot of other tournaments to consider. Even things like daylight for the tournament. Once the tournament gets put back, there's less and less daylight. When you play at Wimbledon normally, you can play until 10 at night."
Dan McCarthy is a reporter who is very knowledgeable about football at all levels, and a keen Leeds United fan. He also follows darts, snooker, motorsport, and rugby league.