X

Wednesday 12
August

Boxing

Joshua heading to Saudi Arabia for Ruiz rematch

10th August 2019, 09:38 by Chris Rivers

Saudi Arabia has won the right to stage the heavyweight rematch between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz J on December 7.

AJ lost his WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO world titles and his unbeaten record in shocking circumstances against Ruiz back in June, the Mexican knocking down the Briton four times en route to a seventh-round stoppage win.

Joshua was quick to activate the rematch clause in his contract and talks have been ongoing for several weeks over where the fight would be staged, the first encounter having taken place at New York's Madison Square Garden.

Cardiff's Principality Stadium, where Joshua has fought twice previously, had been put forward but Ruiz's camp were not keen on his first defence taking place in the UK.

A lucrative offer from Saudi Arabia, reportedly worth in excess of £82million, was also tabled and all parties have now agreed for the fight to take place in the Middle East nation with Joshua's promoter Matchroom saying more details on the bout will be announced at a press conference on Monday.

Diriyah, on the outskirts of the capital Riyadh, will be the venue for the contest and the announcement hasn't gone down well with boxing fans and human rights groups, who have criticised the decision to select Saudi Arabia as the host.

Saudi Arabia has staged several big fights recently with George Groves and Callum Smith contesting the World Boxing Super Series final last September, while Amir Khan defeated Billy Dibs last month.

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Chris Rivers is an experienced reporter who closely follows both Arsenal and Wales Rugby Union team. As well as in-depth football and rugby knowledge, Chris is an avid American Football, Formula One and boxing fan.

More Boxing

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

Pogo poised for Strensall Stakes outing

11th August 2020, 15:53

Charlie Hills has been impressed with Pogo's improvement and says he would be well-suited to the Strensall Stakes at York later this month.

Horse Racing

Moody prioritises Melbourne Cup for Nickajack Cave

11th August 2020, 14:25

Trainer Peter Moody says Nickajack Cave will be aimed at the Melbourne Cup after joining his stable in Australia.

Horse Racing

Aspetar may struggle - Charlton

10th August 2020, 17:05

Trainer Roger Charlton has conceded that Aspetar may struggle to compete in the Juddmonte International at York this month.

Horse Racing

Enable to miss York ahead of Arc bid

10th August 2020, 16:51

John Gosden's Enable will now have her prep run at Kempton rather than York ahead of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

Horse Racing

Appleby delighted as Space Blues opens Group One account

9th August 2020, 18:44

Trainer Charlie Appleby was full of praise for stable star Space Blues as he opened his Group One account in the Prix Maurice de Gheest at Deauville.

Horse Racing

Mohaather in line for France outing

9th August 2020, 10:46

Trainer Marcus Tregoning has revealed Mohaather could be given one run in France before heading to Ascot in October.

Horse Racing

Plenty of options on the table for Kameko

8th August 2020, 14:20

Connections are set to decide Kameko's next step after the weekend with four potential destinations on the table.

Horse Racing

Curragh given go ahead for Sunday card

8th August 2020, 11:45

Racing has been given the go ahead at the Curragh on Sunday despite a partial lockdown coming into place in County Kildare.