X

Thursday 16
July

Tennis

US Open doubles no longer on Murray agenda

16th August 2019, 09:00 by Chris Rivers

Andy Murray says he will not play at the US Open later this month after withdrawing from the doubles to focus on his singles comeback.

The former world number one, alongside Feliciano Lopez, is currently in the midst of what will likely be his final doubles campaign for the foreseeable future at the Cincinnati Masters, where he will face brother Jamie and his partner Neal Skupski in the quarter-finals on Friday.

The three-time Grand Slam champion made his return to singles competition at the same event, falling at the first hurdle on Monday when beaten in straight sets by Richard Gasquet.

Murray will be back in one-on-one action at next week's Winston-Salem Open after accepting a wildcard and had then been expected to head to Flushing Meadows to play men's and mixed doubles at the final Grand Slam event of the year.

However, Murray says he will play no part in the US Open after opting against entering the doubles, the Brit having previously turned down a wildcard for the singles tournament as well.

"I'm not going to play doubles at the US Open," Murray told BBC Sport. "My goal is to get back playing at the level that I want to on the singles court, and I've decided that I need to focus all my energies on that right now.

"The US Open, doubles and mixed, can be another couple of weeks that you are slowing things down."

Murray has indicated that he could play singles at a Challenger Tour event while the US Open is going on at the end of August.

This article originated on sportinastorm.com

Chris Rivers is an experienced reporter who closely follows both Arsenal and Wales Rugby Union team. As well as in-depth football and rugby knowledge, Chris is an avid American Football, Formula One and boxing fan.

More Tennis

Tennis

Best British Tennis Players in History

25th June 2020, 15:42

Great Britain is home to some of the greatest tennis players of all-time.

Recent Sport Headlines

Horse Racing

O'Brien targets Group 1 outing

16th July 2020, 13:07

Trainer Joseph O'Brien says Patrick Sarsfield will be heading for a Group 1 race earlier than expected.

Horse Racing

Art Power heading for York

15th July 2020, 17:33

Art Power looks set for a trip to York for the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes next month, according to racing manager Alastair Donald.

Horse Racing

Fancy Blue to skip Irish Oaks

15th July 2020, 14:57

Trainer Donnacha O'Brien has suggested that Fancy Blue could skip the Irish Oaks in favour of a trip to Goodwood.

Horse Racing

Love set to swerve Irish Oaks

14th July 2020, 11:53

Aidan O'Brien says Love will swerve this weekend's Juddmonte Irish Oaks as they set their sights on next month's Darley Yorkshire Oaks.

Horse Racing

Botti reveals US plans

14th July 2020, 11:14

Trainer Marco Botti says Malotru could eventually head to the US but current plans are being assessed due to travel restrictions.

Horse Racing

Dandalla heading for Deauville

13th July 2020, 16:40

Connections have confirmed Dandalla will head to Deauville for the Prix Morny after winning at Newmarket last week.

Horse Racing

Sceptical heading to York after Newmarket defeat

13th July 2020, 16:27

Trainer Denis Hogan has confirmed Sceptical will head to York for the Nunthorpe after his narrow defeat in the Darley July Cup at Newmarket.

Horse Racing

Geraghty calls time on glittering career

12th July 2020, 11:05

Barry Geraghty has announced his retirement as a jockey, at the age of 40, and admits he will "miss the buzz and thrill" of jump racing.